Imperfect but Reasonable

The electoral college happens to be one of the most cyclical arguments to ever be discussed. Every election especially in the last few presidential elections there have been increased arguments against the electoral college from the losing side. This happens within the party that lost because they feel cheated in some way. The voters feel as if their voice doesn’t matter and that they will be perpetually overlooked. This push for change is strong in the months after the elections, but they quickly die as the instant outrage flickers and the voters prepare for the next election. In a system that rarely changes eventually the people’s drive wears out and they move on to issues they may eventually change. I agree that there is something left to be desired with electoral college system, but I do not think it has to be changed; because every system will have its flaws and the benefits of an electoral college outweighs the disadvantages or outliers.

The main point that makes me agree with the continuation of the electoral college is the point made by Busch and Shafer. The electoral college is one of the silent blockers of major party polarization. Parties are incentivized to choose candidates that will steal votes from across the aisle by allowing some concessions on platforms. By allowing these concessions more moderate candidates are put forth and straying from the party to run their own is incredibly counterintuitive. In a popular vote system straying from the party lines would be encouraged to gain more votes for the party overall especially if there is the potential for run-off elections. This encouragement of multiple candidates allows for more extremes to win elections through bargaining and other below the board tactics.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *