(CON) The Individual Defines the Presidency, Not the Environment

The consequences behind an American presidency is largely determined by the individuals who are elected to that position, not the time in which they are elected. My reasoning for this stems from the fact that the “success” of a presidency almost entirely relies on how the individuals utilize the tools at their disposal. I will briefly touch on the pro argument for this debate, which argues that the political environment is the primary factor in regard to a president’s performance, and briefly explain its importance. Then, I will rationalize my reasoning as to why it is the individuals who define the presidency, not the environment.

Touching on the importance of the political environment, it certainly does play an important factor that will help determine the success or failure of a presidency. The environment sets up the foundation for which the president will act on. If it is a time of extreme political turmoil, the president could very well have a harder time being successful, but they are not without control of the situation. To simply say that a presidency can be defined from the moment they take office is way too much of a stretch, in my opinion, and it fosters an environment where presidents are not held accountable for their actions. I also take issue with the definitions placed on the environment of American presidencies, such as Jeffersonian democracy between 1800-1828. While these eras mark a sort of political trend that dominates American politics, it does not take into account the overall complex, perhaps short term, issues that arise during one’s presidency. Such issues are almost entirely in the control of the president. But in order for the president to be successful, they must take the proper individual steps that lead to it. While I do believe individual skill and leadership capabilities are key factors that will help define success, not having those skills will almost certainly doom a presidency. Taking the example of dysfunctional and deficient presidents that Paul highlights, we can see that these individuals will have the most trouble in office regardless of the political environment. At the end of the day, it is the competency level of an individual that will define an administration’s success, as those competencies will directly contribute to the strategy of the individual who will then utilize the proper tools to achieve their goals. The political environment provides the framework for policy making, while individual competency will provide the framework to achieve strategy.

3 thoughts on “(CON) The Individual Defines the Presidency, Not the Environment

1. James,
    Good argument, but I have one slight disagreement. The President does have tools to meet various situations which emerge that is true. A President who had skills in maneuvering through the system could indeed make a difference. However, the hyper partisan nature and entrenched government employees make any changes by the President daunting at best and likely to have only cosmetic impact. Until the country can move from such divisiveness likely little improvement will be possible.
    Thanks,
    Tim Fewless

2. Tim,
    But the hyper-partisan nature of American politics is a direct example of how the president can use his individual skill, or tools, to largely change that. To look at how the president can impact partisanship or polarization, one would need to look no farther back than Trump and the actions he took while in office. Trump essentially weaponized his voter base and set them on his political enemies. Such an action only led to deeper polarization within our country and you had a side of American politics that were completely unwilling to work with Trump. If a president works to actively encourage debate and emphasizes the legitimacy of the elected officials against him, bipartisanship can be achieved. Thus creating a presidency that is much more likely to be successful.

3. Hi James,

I think you have a good argument and your position interests me, however, I disagree with your entire concept that the individual defines the presidency, not the environment. Not every president will use their entire skill set to rally a nation headed to war if nothing is going on in the world. A president that is under different circumstances will not have to do certain things like inspire a nation for battle and become idolized, and this doesn’t necessarily make them a worse president than one who did have to write this amazing (and hypothetical) speech.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *