Debate #1

I can not say either or is the correct one but I can say that I do have a leaning of agreement towards Byron E. Shafer and their stance on the matter. This matter being, should the President be elected directly by the people of the United States. Though Byron E Shafer has a point too on how the Electoral College has a purpose and a need to exist. Burdett Loomis states that it is important for the people to determine the results of an election rather than a group that risks polarization as he deemed. This form of Electoral College we have now does further support and push a two party system but it is through the actions of the people that this remains. When displaying my leanings in support for Byron E Shafer, I believe that the Electoral College does hold a strength as it removes the wild card factor of the people such as ‘in the moment’ mentality and their attraction towards those who are more popular. These factors include the bandwagon mentality that is often on display in America and would prevent a popularity contest from forming! Instead you have the Electoral College who will each look at what a Presidential Candidate, aside from a ‘common struggle’ and determine what is best for their state as per their election. Those who vote for their state are trusted to vote in the favor of their ideals, representing the people. While there can be times where the responsible individual who is meant to make the vote may go against what his elected position was meant to side with, these people know the risks and how unlikely a reelection may be. 

There is also the downside that when you take into account the smaller states, the Electoral College allows them to have more of an impact than they might have before. Dominance through a few key states would be the way to ensure victory by sheer mass of votes but you also have the downside of an already polarized system which would draw people more into conflict. When people vote and express anger over the results, they don’t always view that aggression towards the opposite voters but rather the state itself or the Electoral College. By using the Electoral College, you are almost creating a buffer zone between the people of opposing views and allows for a sort of cushion against political hostility projected towards the common man. I think overall the Electoral College creates more of a safety net and presents more pro’s rather than con’s. While I can see the good in having the people control things more directly, you have such a low voter turnout usually that you would then make it far more impactful when someone doesn’t vote versus allowing a designated official to speak on your collective’s behalf. Depending on what you favor for speaking as a group or having someone speak for the group, either can have more appeal over the other. In the end, I side more with Byron E Shafer and think that the importance of the Electoral College should remain present and continue to act as that voice for the many rather than the many trying to speak at once.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *