Introduction – Seth Burch

Hello Class,

I’m sorry for my late start, my name is Seth Burch. I am currently a senior at University, looking forward to graduating soon, and very grateful for the opportunity to take a closer look at the presidency. My majors are Justice, Agribusiness management, and Accounting with minors in Political Science and Communication. When I grow up, I hope to serve my community in some capacity within the criminal justice system while starting a farm.

My burning question for this course is “why?”. More specifically, why do we no longer see presidents who strive to be good stewards for our country but instead seek to fulfill the changes they see fit. Is there an imperative within the office that presidents must “move forward” with their agenda? Is there a requirement from the electorate that presidents not be elected to simply have a quiet four years? I understand and cede that the American system is an experiment in democracy, but should that necessarily mean it becomes unstable and divisive?

I look forward to studying with you all and hope you enjoy the remainder of the term!