Debate #3: Does the President Have Too Much Power in the Selection of Judges? (Con)

Riley von Borstel

This topic is certainly something I have pondered about before reading the arguments of both the pro and con sides of this debate, and even after reading both arguments, I still have to agree with the justification of the con side. In other words, no, I do not think that the President has too much power in the selection of judges. On the contrary, I think Congress perhaps has too much power in their role of the selection of judges, and they use the judicial branch as yet another weapon in the ever-increasing bipartisanship of American politics.

For those that consider themselves to be literalists regarding the Constitution, it is important to consider the fact that it is not explicitly mentioned that the president must consult members of Congress prior to making their judicial nominations–but they are certainly welcome to if they desire. What it seems is that the “advice” from Congress that is mentioned in the Constitution comes from the deliberation that takes place in the legislative branch post-nomination from the president. The role that the president has in this process–selecting the nominees–makes legitimate sense, as if it were up to the members of the legislative branch, then the process would take exponentially longer due to the many different opinions involved in the process. As Nathaniel Gorham argued during the Constitutional Convention, “the Senate was still ‘too numerous, and too little personally responsible, to ensure a good choice.'” Furthermore, James Madison added that the executive would be more likely than the Senate to select individuals fit for the position and that by requiring the “consent and advice” of the Senate there would be the ever-important checks and balances.

When the founders were discussing the issue at hand during the Constitutional Convention, they figured that the Senate voting against the judicial nominations of the president would be a rare occurrence and that it would only occur in times where the Senate felt that the president had a personal or familial connection to the nominee. Of course, this was far before the current hyper partisan climate that we are experiencing today, in which it is extremely common for members of the Senate to reject a nominee merely based on their ideological stance. This is why I feel that perhaps the Senate holds too much power in the role of selecting judicial members. Because the Senate holds this power, they can control who is placed on these courts and will inevitably choose nominees that belong to the same political party, and, therefore, have a similar agenda. They can also use a variety of means to block candidates they are not in favor of without blatantly shooting them down, such as filibusters and through the blue-slip procedure. In my opinion, this is maltreatment of the power that the Senate has been granted in the selection of judicial officials. It does not matter how qualified one may be for the position they have been nominated for, most Senators will not vote to confirm them merely on the basis that they belong to a political party. As time went on and the polarization of political parties grew, the frequency of filibusters and blue-slipping continued to increase, until it got to the point where the amount of time it took to confirm a judicial nominee grew to be excruciatingly long–the median time is currently 225 days. This is yet another example of hyper bipartisanship making it so our federal government is largely unproductive. To wrap up my argument, I wanted to relay a quote from Maltese that I feel adequately sums up why the president does not have too much power in judicial nominations:

“In contrast, President Trump’s judicial nominees were confirmed relatively quickly and easily. Media accounts heralded the ‘historic pace’ set in 2018… That pace did not reflect a president with too much power: it reflected a Senate that was doing its job.” After the president makes his nomination, the ball is then in the court of Senators to do their job and fill these seats.

3 thoughts on “Debate #3: Does the President Have Too Much Power in the Selection of Judges? (Con)

1. I do agree with your claims on hyper polarization as well as the issues that come with allowing Congress into the nomination process. We are aware of how long bureaucrats can take to make deciosns! However, I would challenge your conclusion regarding how Senate regents nominees with ideological differences. While polarization is a serious issue, I think the problem is weighted on the side of the executive. Judges have no term limits, a President protects their legacy and pushed their agenda long beyond their own term limits with agreeable judges. Judges that share the ideology of the administration can push that ideology for many administrations. The Senate provides a check for the executive branch wielding power in two branches instead of just one. While polarization makes it nearly impossible for Congress to function, it does have an important role to play in insulating each branch from becoming too interdependent on the others. The branches are supposed to be contrary and act as checks and balances. Thank you for posting!!

• Thanks for your response, Lillian–it gave me a lot to think about regarding my stance on the subject. I do think that yes, presidents do make their nominations based on political affiliation with the goal of establishing their ideological legacy in the judicial branch, but couldn’t this be the case for the legislative branch, as well? If this were not the case, then wouldn’t Congress be filled with people who lie in the middle of the political spectrum rather than being controlled by one party or another? Congress has the power to determine who fills these positions in the courts, so couldn’t it be argued that all three branches could be under the control of one political party (which is out of the control of the president)? Thanks for posting, Lillian.

2. Hi Riley!
    I agree whole-heartedly: it is stunning to me that people can look at the past two decades and determine that the EXECUTIVE has too much power in appointing judges when the Senate has been smashing norms and bending precedent left and right in order to increase their power over the president’s constitutionally mandated responsibility to appoint judges to the federal bench. I also really appreciate your use of President Trump’s judicial nomination statistic, as, since the Senate nixed the filibuster for judicial appointments, both Trump AND Biden have been able to better realize the intention of the appointment process, having judge appointment rise up from the frankly abysmal numbers it reached under Obama to numbers more in-line with past presidents.